Polyethylene terephthalate polyester (PETP) is the most common thermoplastic polyester and is often called just “polyester”.
Polyethylene terephthalate polyester (PETP) is a hard, stiff, strong, dimensionally stable material that absorbs very little water. It has good gas barrier properties and good chemical resistance except to alkalis (which hydrolyze it).
Its crystallinity varies from amorphous to fairly high crystalline. Polyethylene terephthalate polyester (PETP) can be highly transparent and colourless but thicker sections are usually opaque and off-white.
Polyethylene Terephthalate is used in several packaging applications as mentioned below:
– Because Polyethylene Terephthalate is an excellent water and moisture barrier
– material, plastic bottles made from PET are widely used for mineral water and carbonated soft drinks
– Its high mechanical strength, makes Polyethylene Terephthalate films ideal for use in tape applications
– Non-oriented PET sheet can be thermoformed to make packaging trays and blisters
– Its chemical inertness, together with other physical properties, has made it particularly suitable for food packaging applications
– Other packaging applications include rigid cosmetic jars, microwavable containers, transparent films, etc.